As the best sister a sister could have, I was also in charge of the baby shower games. The party started off with each guest getting a bow. At this point I’ve already spent so much money on the gifts that I tried to save a bit with the shower. Make all the bows! I bought plain hair clips and hot glued the bows. I used to pretty much the rest of my ribbon collection, but I don’t feel like it was wasted at all.
1. Don’t say ‘Baby’. At the shower the naughty four letter word was baby. If someone caught you saying that word they could steal your bow. The most bows at the end of the shower won a prize! Then, my sister got all the bows for her baby girl afterwards.
2. Encouragement box. This part wasn’t really a game – but a group gift. I made a box in the pink camo style that my sister originally requested. I did the pattern all on my own (it was tedious but I am proud of it.) Then I spray coated the box and finally wrote up some instructions. At the party we sent each guest secretly into a separate room to help me complete the gift.
3. Color the diaper! I bought a box of plain diapers in the 10lb size (just in case she had a really fat baby) and each guest colored a diaper while my sister’s back was turned. When they were finished she got to select her favorite. Also, she will be able to actually use these diapers in the future and hopefully that will bring a smile to her face. Thinking back, I would have gotten the guests to decorate the WHOLE box of diapers so that she had a large number of funny diapers to laugh at.
4. Guess the baby food. As you can imagine, I bought 8 jars of baby food, took off the wrappers and labeled them 1-8. Each person got to taste each food and guess the contents! Since baby food usually lacks salt and is very plain, it’s harder to guess each food. The most recent mother was the obvious winner for this game but everyone had fun and I got MANY laughs out of watching everyone’s faces. Note: make sure no one has dietary restrictions before you start the game.
5. Baby Shower Game Show!!!! This was my favorite idea. I split the room into 4 teams and gave each one a diaper on a stick to use as a buzzer/caller for the game. I then had the following set up:
Baby Game Show
I name a baby animal and you tell me it’s animal name.
Baby Animal Name Adult Baby Name
||Kangaroo, Wallaby, Wombat
Gestation Period Is Right! Closest in Days without going over!
Animal Gestation Period in Days (Months)
||58-67 days (avg) 64 (2.1mo)
||279-292 (9 1/3mo)
||330-342 (11 mo)
Which animal will give it’s baby a name shortly after birth?
Celebrity Baby Name or Something I made up?
Kal-El (Nick Cage)
Pilot Inspektor (Jason Lee, My Name Is Earl)
Fifi Trixibelle (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates, irish singer and ho)
Mango (Chris Cataan chatacter not baby name)
Apple (Gwyneth Paltrow)
Kyd (Dave Duchovny and Tea Leoni)
Sage Moonblood (Sylvester Stallone)
Nashville Starr (Memphis Eve is Bono’s kid)
Devil Moon (Blue Angel is by the Edge from U2)
Jermajesty (Jermaine Jackson)
Undine or Ondine was first recorded by Paracelsus (a famous medieval scholar/alchemist, 1493-1541) to describe a water nymph, these next questions are about the use of the name.
(I had 5 questions about her name in pop culture, it’s use as business names and a medical condition named after her.)
Sister/Brother in Law Trivia:
Favorite color: Camo/Black
What Year did each join the army? 2012/2001
How old was either when they shot their first gun? 24/4
What did they want to be when they grew up? Mechanic/professional hunter
What is their favorite animal? Horse/ His dog
6. Baby present bingo! As my sister opened gifts you crossed off your bingo card. Looking back I should have had more bathing accessories and different types of clothes written down.
These were the prizes. I bought $3 wine from walmart, some cookie cutters and then two snack holders. Each prize was under $3. (Note: The $3 bottles of wine are about 2/3 the size of a normal bottle, but I love the price!)